There is a great book called Look Up Winchester which gives the background of many of the building's in Winchester High Street above the eye line, where they are often unchanged for many years. Here is one photo above what is now Clarks Shoe Shop (see the boot to the right). Built in 1780 on the site of St Mary Kalender Church The White Horse Inn lost its licence in 1937. In 1808 Jane Austin wrote to her sister of an incident which occurred at this Inn when adulterous lovers met there, but were recognised by the landlady who was later called to give evidence at the scandalous divorce proceedings.
The book Look Up Winchester can be bought at: Amazon.co.uk