26 January 2011

Bishop On The Bridge

B is for Bishop On The Bridge which is a pleasant pub in Winchester. It has a nice atmosphere, live bands occasionally and a great beer garden next to the river (the river is to the left of the pub)

The old East Gate of the city stood approximately where the pub is today, however this was demolished in 1768. The current building dates from 1891 and has been known by various names, The Great Western Hotel, The Riverside Inn, The Louisiana, The Old Monk and more recently The Bishop On The Bridge. The Bishop in question is St Swithun the Saxon Bishop of Winchester from 852-862 who built the 1st bridge over the River Itchen.

Celebrity claim to fame for this pub - James Cagney stayed at this pub in 1942 when he came to Winchester to visit American servicemen at a Red Cross Hospital located in Winchester.

For more photos beginning with 'B' see ABC Wednesday

19 comments:

  1. I love pubs. Don't even like beer...
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating history, - I think its present name is most relevant to the story of its location.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great looking pub... I not a beer drinker, but I think I would like that place!

    Interesting about James Cagney in 1942. I was one year old at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a handsome pub! And I very much like the pub's name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a great spot for a blogger party! I like the design of the building.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the design of that building too, looks like a fun place to check out. I like how you angled the shot too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice pub ! I love pubs, when I visited my son in London I used to go into pubs to draw people.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the way the light is hitting this building. It almost seems to glow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't drink beer too much myself, these days pubs serve everything - wine, spirits, soft drinks, tea & coffee..

    ReplyDelete
  10. The British pubs are so much nicer than the ones we have here! I must have missed this one when in Winchester back in 1997, but will check it out next time I'm in the area.

    Leslie
    ABCW Team :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice place Winchester - we went there many many years ago .. enjoyed looking at your Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a great place to visit and sit by the river in the summer. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the institution of the pub; especially since smoking was banned.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks so English to me that picture, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love, love the brick architecture and the area around that pub! Take us inside for a pint!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is what I think when I imagine myself a typical place where a pub could be! Pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are all welcome back to Winchester anytime. And yes, it's much better since smoking was banned. It's a hard job but I guess I'll have to pop in there sometime soon and get some inside photos!

    ReplyDelete