Winchester City Mill is located on a site that has been used for milling flour since Saxon times. It spans the River Itchen in the heart of Winchester. The current building dates from 1743 and remained in use as a mill until the early 20th century. For a while the building was a Youth Hostel, but in 2004 the National Trust took over the building and it resumed grinding flour again after a gap of at least 90 years. The Mill is open to visitors and regular flour milling demonstrations are given at weekends. The product, stoneground wholemeal flour, is sold in the mill shop.