16 May 2011

Above the eyeline

The building here in the High Street which now houses the shops Cath Kidston and JJB Sports was built in 1806. On this site originally stood The White Hart Inn, dating back to 1417. The innkeeper at the time commissioned the well known architect George Moneypenny to rebuild it. Moneypenny was particularly famous for his prisons, including Winchester goal in Jewry Street (now a pub!). The large window on the first floor also provided an assembly room and was used by the Duke of Wellington when campaigning to become an Member of Parliament gave a speech from the balcony. The White Hart Inn closed in 1857 and its ground floor was divided into 2 shops.

5 comments:

  1. You have a Cath Kidston now? I would have loved one when I was there! I can't remember what was next to JJB sports before that though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not been there all that long, but I can't remember what was there before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I googled the address, I think it was a bookshop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moneypenny was unusually locked up for debt in a prison he designed! We have a Cath Kidson here in Leeds and I know someone who has a share in an outlet not far from here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I think you're right Jane, how quickly we forget!

    Paul - that does ring a bell actually, if he'd known he may have designed an escape route!

    ReplyDelete