Winchester, ancient capital of England and judged best place to live in the UK in 2006!
08 September 2011
This is Avington Park in the village of Avington which is about 5 miles NE of Winchester. The house originally belonged to the Cathedral of Winchester until King Henry VIII granted the estate to Edmund Clerke. In the mid 17th centuary it was owned by George Brydges, Groom of the Bedchamber to Charles II. He enlarged and updated the house to accommodate the King and Nell Gwynne.
The estate was sold in 1847 to Sir John Shelley, brother of the poet, and sold again to the Hickson family in 1953 who still own it today. Avington Park is available for weddings, corporate event, filming and is occasionally open to the public.
There was recently a crime committed at the property when a sundial worth around £100000 was stolen.